Dragoons first explored this area in 1935. These soldiers patrolled the Red Rock Line from 1842 to 1845. This line extended north and south through much of Iowa and was named after the town of Red Rock which was located on the shores of the Des Moines River. After 1845, settlers were allowed west of the Red Rock Line. Today, the town of Red Rock lies beneath Lake Red Rock.